Monday, January 2, 2012

Belonging

I'm not sure I have ever know I am supposed to be anywhere as much as i know that i am meant to be here it Cuttack, India. Yesterday we got to tour the public school and meet all the children. They were so precious in their uniforms, standing and greeting us as we walked in. "Good morning Madam" coming from the mouth of a child is one of the most heartwarming phrases I'm sure has ever been uttered. We got to talk to Asim and the principal about the history of the Shelter and how the church came to rise in Orissa. I was incredibly surprised that it started with the Gospel Trumpet Company, the first Anderson College. For the past hundred years men and women have been supporting the christian movement in India. A movement i must remind you, that has not been taken well by many people.
We read and reenacted(if you can even call it that) the story Shadrach, Meshach and Abednago, three men who were persecuted when they refused to bow down to any other God but theirs. when the King said that they would be thrown in the fire, the men replied, "Our God will save us, but even if he doesn't we will still praise Him". That's so powerful. not only did they have faith that they wouldnt be harmed, even if they were, they still resolved to follow God, even into death. I couldn't help but think of the literal implications of that. If these children continue to grow and prosper in their faith, a prayer which comes many many times from my lips, they will face persecution the rest of their lives. But what joy to know that God is so much bigger than all of that. That even in all the fear and conflict, there are people willing to praise him, no matter what. This country has such faith and determination. I hope to keep it close to my heart and keep learning all that India has to teach me, even long after I've traveled back to the states.

No comments:

Post a Comment